Friday, February 5, 2010

JD's Birthday

I realized the other day that I completely forgot to post about JD's 17th birthday, which was January 27th...it fell in the middle of a very strange couple of weeks of sickness and busyness, thus the forgetfulness on my part! I wish we could have planned something bigger, but at the end, it was JD's choice to only have a family celebration...maybe next year. I made vanilla ice cream in our new ice cream freezer and baked pound cake; all very yummy!

Sorry the picture is a bit dark, none of them turned out too well and this one was the best. Interestingly, Jkaile ended up being quicker on the draw than JD when it was time to blow out the candles! He just loves to blow out "fire"! We all had a good laugh at that. At any rate, I think JD enjoyed his birthday celebration and was pleased with all his presents. :)


To give a bit of background...JD (short for José David) is Miguel's youngest brother. Miguel has another brother and one sister, but the older siblings were all in their early 20s when JD was born. JD spent a year living with us in 2005-2006 while we were in Venezuela, where he caught up with his schooling (I taught him at home during that time) and learned English .

Jojo had a special place in JD's heart!

Two brothers...

JD came to live with us again this last summer. Our hope is that he can stay with us until he graduates from the MK school here in two years. His dream is to attend college in the U.S. and probably study something to do with computers, graphic design, and/or engineering.

Family picture, 2006.

One of my favorite pictures of the boys...

The boys with their cousins Daniel and Luis
at a park in Venezuela

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I remember those days!! (sniff, sniff)
So thankful you guys are taking care of JD!
Tasha

Rebecca Conduff Aguirre said...

Yep, good times! :) I thought you might enjoy those pictures, Tasha...I wish we could have kept him with us all along, but at least we can have him now...