Thursday, June 11, 2009

Chicha

When I hear the word chicha, I get a picture in my head of half a coconut filled with fermented corn or pineapple drink, because that's what my experience with chicha was in Colombia...but in Venezuela, chicha is a very popular non-fermented rice drink. Think rice pudding in the blender with sweetened condensed milk on top! Yummo! Miguel got a hankering for his beloved chicha yesterday, so I found a recipe online and it was declared a success.

Chicha


Recipe:
1 cup rice
5 cups water
salt to taste
3 cups whole milk
1 can sweetened cond. milk
1 can evaporated milk
cinnamon
Boil the rice in the water, add salt to taste.
When the rice is tender, blend together with
the whole milk (mine didn't fit into the blender all at one time).
Add the cans of milk, blend more (can reserve
some of the sweetened condensed milk for the topping).
When cool, serve with chipped ice.
Top with sweetened condensed milk, cinnamon,
chocolate powder, and/or chocolate/colored sprinkles.
There are quite a few variations of chicha in Venezuela,
so feel free to experiment!
Enjoy!

Some very happy customers!



3 comments:

Cindy said...

that sounds yummy.
what's the difference in chicha and horchata?

Rebecca Conduff Aguirre said...

It's my understanding, Cindy, that horchata is made with raw rice that's been soaked overnight...and I don't know that it has the cans of milk in it. It also has to be strained to get the gritty's out. I like both horchata and chicha...that would be good to find a good recipe for horchata and post it here, too.

Cindy said...

sure!! go for it!! then I might try making it. We love it!